This post covers part two of Basking in the Light, the second installment in our Land of Vampires series. In part two of this level 4 adventure, the party delves deeper into the Ring of Light and receives a special mission.
We’ll be releasing this campaign in serial this summer and fall in part thanks to the incredible support of our patrons—thank you all! If you’re enjoying this campaign and would like to support us, we’d love for you to join us on Patreon!
Part Two: Light in the Darkness
After hours of traveling north along the road, a squat town of small stone buildings enclosed within a sturdy wall comes into view. Outside the wall stand collections of rickety wooden structures divided by paths of mud. One tall, oddly angled white spike towers above the lean-tos. Large pyres are spaced intermittently around the perimeter of the wooden shelters.
As the party enters the town, they encounter a pair of young, poorly equipped members of the Brotherhood of Light. Arad is a 14-year-old human male on watch with Sven, a sullen, elderly man with a lopsided helmet matched by his lopsided grin. They each sport a dirty white armband with a yellow candle embroidered on its surface. They are the town guards and enforcers of the Brotherhood of Light.
Sven and Arad, seeing that the party looks capable and could be of use to the Brotherhood, insist on escorting them into the safety of the Ring of Light. On the way, they pepper the party with questions, curious to discover where they are coming from and what they want.
The Brotherhood of Light
The Ring of Light is controlled by a fanatical religious group called the Brotherhood of Light. This organization reveres the community’s religious leader, the Blessed Father, who maintains complete control and hands down strict rules “of order and morality” for his followers and anyone else staying in the Ring of Light.
Most of the Blessed Father’s rules are enforced socially, but grievous offenses or acts of outright blasphemy against the Blessed Father could result in a mob and the party potentially being fuel for one of their bonfires. Sample rules designed to rankle could include:
- Anyone not part of the Brotherhood should have their hair covered.
- Elves are given preferential treatment while gnomes are all but ignored.
- Characters with tattoos are viewed with suspicion.
- Weapons cannot be brought indoors.
Note to GMs: You know your party best and should have a conversation about safety rules and expectations. The Brotherhood is supposed to feel oppressive, but as the GM, it is your responsibility to facilitate fun. Aim to make rules that the party will (or can’t help but to) break.
As they proceed into town, Sven and Arad drop the following items of interest at GM’s discretion:
- That is the town of St. Sebastian and it is encircled by the Ring of Light.
- The characters are in the cursed land of Steymhorod.
- Everywhere in Steymhorod is unsafe, except for the Ring of Light. The people’s faith, as demonstrated by living outside the walls. protects them. And so do we, the Brotherhood of Light.
- The vampire Lord Drogo presides over these lands but hasn’t been seen in some time.
- Drogo is a bloodthirsty monster. He used to prey on whomever he liked.
- There has not been a sighting of Drogo in some 20 years, thank the Light and his messenger, the Father.
Walking through the ramshackle town, the party spots a great deal of religious iconography similar to the armbands their guards wear. Sven and Arad take the party to the local inn, the Lantern, where they meet Brother Lafayette.
The Party’s Secret
Both the Blessed Father and Sebastian would be very interested to hear anything about the party being from a different plane of existence, in this case, Azuria. If the party reveals that they do not come from Steymhorod, Brother Lafayette reports the information to the Blessed Father as soon as he can. Sebastian gathers as much from his detect thoughts ability.
A loud, barrel-chested man, Brother Lafayette greets the party warmly. He is the first person that potentially important newcomers meet and functions as their contact and handler. His warmth disguises his incredible shrewdness and zealotry.
Motivation: I will leverage anything and anyone to my own purposes and those of the Brotherhood of Light.
Flaw: I am convinced of my own genius and infallibility.
Brother Lafayette is intrigued by the party and their evident power in having survived the wilds to reach the Ring of Light.
Lafayette’s Plan: He offers the safety and support of the Brotherhood in return for the party acting as his agents in the perpetual struggle with St. Sebastian for power and people. If they came to the town seeking aid for Willowhold, he promises that they can help, but some matters of business must be attended to first.
The most important information that he can offer the party is:
- He will be the party’s contact while they are in the Ring of Light.
- The party is welcome to bask in the light of the Brotherhood’s hospitality in return for a small act of community good.
- The town of St. Sebastian refuses to permit any members of the Brotherhood within its walls to trade or seek help. It’s totally unjust discrimination!
- The real problem is old Sebastian, who has always hated the Blessed Father for proving that faith is more powerful than walls.
- All the party needs to do is get inside, make friends, and purchase some goods.
Brother Lafayette gives the party a short list of items including fine wine, a hand mirror, and other luxuries. He gives them 15 gold coins of unusual design to help complete the task.
Land of Vampires is a serial adventure created under the OGL with 5e SRD resources. The support of our patrons makes this campaign possible. If you’d like to receive a new adventure PDF each month and support our creation of a full duet campaign, join us on Patreon! Alternatively, you can now purchase the first five adventures in this campaign in the DnD Duet shop! (Patrons receive the compiled adventures as part of their patron rewards.)
We’d love to hear how your campaign is going! Let us know in the comments below!
If you like what you’re reading, please consider supporting the blog by purchasing our adventures and supplements in our shop or on DMsGuild or sponsoring us on Patreon. We’d also love for you to follow us on Twitter and Instagram. We appreciate you so much! Thank you for reading. – Beth and Jonathan